Friday, March 1, 2013

Is Seth MacFarlane edgy or offensive?


 
CBS was delighted to have Seth MacFarlane hosting the 58th Academy Awards because the ratings among the desirable 18-to 49-years old demographic were 11 percent higher than 2012. Seth MacFarlane is an icon of pop culture and was a great choice for the Academy ceremony to boost up its increasingly low audience rating that five years ago hit the lowest ever. But do numbers say that he was a good host?

I personally don’t think so. I need to say that I’m a big fan of Family Guy and I have watched every single episode. Yes, the show has the most racist and sexist content on television, but that is the format of this cartoon and I can choose to turn the channel if I feel offended - which I do not. However, as a host, Seth was rather unfunny, targeting his jokes to women and minorities, which he confessed is his “guilty pleasure.”

When the fat Peter Griffin makes racist comments about Consuela (his Latina maid) I laugh, but when a sharp suited Seth MacFarlane presented Salma Hayek by saying how no one could understand a word Latinos said, I did not laugh.

Organizers felt different than me. An Academy spokeswoman in a statement said that Seth MacFarlane did a great job, and “we hope our worldwide audience found the show entertaining.”
Of course he did a great job. He helped raise the ratings and that’s all the Academy and CBS care about.


No comments:

Post a Comment